Tuesday, January 15, 2008

RSV: the good, the bad, the ugly...


Well, I don't know if there is any "good" with RSV(respiratory syncytial virus for newbies like me who have never really heard of it until now) but let me tell you about the bad and the ugly.

So Gabbie has been fighting something pretty much since Christmas. We think it was a head cold that developed into a bad chest cough. On Saturday, we took her to urgent care for a fever and cough. She was given amoxicillan for whatever she had...no real diagnosis though. With tylenol, she got through the weekend. The fever didn't break until Sunday afternoon.

She made it through daycare yesterday. Luckily Jeff was able to pick her up early because he had a half day.

Then I get there today...da da da.

They said she pretty much slept all day and didn't really eat. Well I pick her up out of the crib, put her jacket on and we are about to leave when...BLEGH, throw up all over her and me. We scramble to get stuff to clean it up. BLEGH, throw up all over her and me again.

Well of course I called the dr. and was able to get an appt. right away. However, we weren't able to go home and change first. While in the car, BLEGH, all over her new bib, BLEGH all over the car seat, BLEGH, all over the back seat....

We get there(both smelling of puke mind you....although, I was able to clean us up a bit in the bathroom), they check her and yup she has RSV. So now she is out of daycare for the rest of the week.

Sadly, antibiotics don't work since RSV is viral. Although, she is still on the amoxicillan for the other stuff. We just have to wait this out and make sure she is hydrated. I am hoping she feels better by Friday because I am leaving Jeff alone because I have a wedding in Texas.

And so the "new" joys of parenting begin....

No comments: