We were so tired we couldn't put up the fight any longer. I looked over and saw the UPS truck pull up next to our car. In a moment of desperation I said, "Uh oh, that man has come looking for little boys and girls who are not in their seat buckled up."
Immediately the water works stopped, she looked over at the truck and slowly started getting into her seat without taking her eyes off of the truck.
"What?"
"That man is going to come and get little boys and girls who do not listen to their Mommies and Daddies. Hurry up and get in your seat."
(She's almost in.)
"Why?"
"Because he is looking for boys and girls not buckled. Sit back, we need to buckle you in."
(We got her!)
Her eyes glued on the truck and us snickering, we drive off.
Yes, it was a bad lie, but oh my God if you have experienced the whiney wrath of this child in the past, you know how desperate we were this work day.
Fast forward two days later...
We were driving home from preschool.
Gabbie starts asking, "Where is the man going? Is he going straight?"
We were confused. "What man Gabbie?"
"Is he going to get the boys and girls?"
I ask, "What are you talking about Gabbie?"
That's when Jeff spied us passing a UPS truck. Jeff and I burst out laughing when we realized smarty pants in the back remembered the incident the other day. I was laughing too much at the time to correct the situation. But don't worry, I will not continue to make our child think that big brown UPS trucks roam the neighborhoods searching for boys and girls who are not behaving.
However, the UPS truck could become our year round "elf on a shelf."
Hmmm, tempting. But I guess I should try to be a good Mommy sometimes. Right?

No comments:
Post a Comment