Thursday, September 16, 2010

My LOOOONG Day

I am blogging about this so I can someday remember moments like these. So if you don't want to give yourself a sneak peak into the joys of parenting, remind yourself of what you go through on a daily basis, or remember how it used to be, feel free to skip the post below....

Our mornings usually have us leaving the house between 7:15 and 7:30. By the time we drop everyone off and get to school it is about 8. We have to be at work at 8:10 so that doesn't leave much wiggle room for mishaps. However, that's how it has to be.

On to this morning:

I woke up at 2:30 am for Kiernan's middle of the night feeding. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I laid awake and wasted time on my computer hoping I would get tired. I was up long enough to see Jeff get up and head to his 4:30 swim practice. I finally drifted back to sleep.

I wake again to Kiernan having a "butt explosion" shall I call it. After cleaning him, I lay him down and he happily plays on his own. Now on to dealing with Gabbie who is crying and whining that she didn't want to go to school. I choose to ignore her for a bit while I get dressed. Jeff gets home and hops in the shower.

After the power struggle over underwear and clothing it was time for breakfast. Lately she hasn't been eating anything, so whenever I can get her to eat something other than bread and chips, I am ecstatic. This morning she decides that she wants cereal. Not only that, but wants seconds. This turned her usual 10 min. "breakfast" into a half hour. Although we were behind schedule, we didn't mind because she was eating.

Off to preschool we go....after sitting with her a bit and convincing her it is time for me to go, I slip away and think we are in the clear.

Nope.

Not seconds after leaving the preschool, I see Jeff motioning to me to rush over to Kiernan's side of the car where Jeff is looking panicked. I come over to find Kiernan had thrown up all over himself, the car seat, and back of the seat. I just looked at Jeff and then to Kiernan's goofy smile and said, "Really?"

Back home we go...

I cautiously carry Kiernan like hazardous material back inside the house to get him changed while Jeff takes on the task of cleaning the crevices of our car.

Yum. Which would you have chosen to clean?

Kiernan didn't have a fever, hadn't been fussy that morning nor showed signs of any kind of sickness so we decided to still send him to daycare.

Car clean, Kiernan clean, off we go...

Kiernan's drop off went smoothly. Phew. We did it!

You'd think the rest of the day was the usual mundane routine right?

WRONG...

Did I mention that Gabbie had an "Afternoon Tea" (Meet the teacher) that day AND I had my own Back to School Night that night?

After school, we zipped to Gabbie's Afternoon Tea. I love her school. Her teacher seems really nice and there are a lot of great activities planned this year.

Once we chatted with the teacher for a bit, I let Gabbie come in from outside so she could show us around. Immediately she went into baby mode, talking like one and needing me to hold her every second. This was so not what I was in the mood for. However, I could tell she was in a volatile state, so I didn't push it.

Look at the time! Back to my school I go. I left Jeff praying that the ticking time bomb Gabbie would be good for him while I was gone.

Back to School Night was ok, barring some technical difficulties. By 8 pm my day was finally over, or so I thought. I call Jeff to let him know I am on my way home. He said Kiernan did well at daycare and had no other incidents. He was already in bed and Gabbie was hanging out with Jeff.

Jeff calls 10 minutes later to see where I am and I hear screaming in the background. Ticking time bomb has exploded. He tells me she is throwing a tantrum and refuses to get dressed.

Naked and in 'time out', she pees all over her carpet and one of her board games.

Can't wait to have this? Sound familiar? Remember this?

I come home and tag Jeff out so I can take over Princess Disaster. He was able to get a pull up on her. I was able to negotiate pajamas and 2 books to read. I then rested with her for a bit while she finally calmed down and started to drift off to sleep.

9:15 pm: I plop down on the bed next to a defeated Jeff and we both look at each other.

We have no words. Just drained faces and blank stares as we watch TV.

It had been a loooooong day.

post signature

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

My word. Bless both of your hearts. I am often tired, but I can't say I've had a day like that so far with my two. Close, but no cigar.