Saturday, July 2, 2011

Serious Conversations

Gabbie really can have her serious moments at times.
-----------------
The other day I was driving her to swim practice. 
Every time I would change lanes, she would ask me why. She would ask why I got off at an exit or went down a ramp. 
Gabbie(in a worried tone):  "Mommy, when I get big and I drive, I am not going to know where to go.  I am going to need help when I'm driving."
Me: "Don't worry Gabbie, I will sit in the car with you and tell you where to go."
Gabbie(lightening up a bit): "I know where our house is.  And how to get to Appletree(her preschool)."
Me: "Don't worry, you will learn how to go to different places as you get older."
---------------
On the way home from practice I found out that my Great Uncle had passed away.  He was a great man and marked the end of the Raquet line of my family. 
Gabbie of course was eaves dropping while I was on the phone.
When I got off she asked, "Who died?"
Me: My Great Uncle.  Remember he was in the hospital and Gram had to visit him when we were in NY?
Gabbie:  People can die?
Me:  Yes, when people get really, really old; older than Gram, Grandma, and Grandpa, their bodies get too tired because they lived so many years and they die.

She was not upset by the conversation or else I would have changed the subject.  On the contrary, she was intrigued by the idea since we never really talked about it before.  She asked question after quesiton.  I went on to explain a very watered down version of how people die, how their spirits go to heaven and then how they watch over us.

Gabbie:  Will we have Ellie forever or will she die?
Me:  Animals die just like people, so some day Ellie will too.  But we have many more years of jumping and craziness from her.

The conversation eventually fizzled out, but I was pretty impressed at how she handled the topic.

--------------------------

Gabbie:  Can we get a puppy?
Me:  No not until you and Kiernan are older and we move to a different house.
Gabbie:  Can we move to a bigger house?  Not a rectangle one?
Me(chuckling):  What is wrong with our rectangle house?
Gabbie:  It's too much a rectangle.  I want something bigger.

(Well, well little princess, we will see what we can do for you.)

--------------------
Gabbie still stuck on the puppy topic:  Can we get a lot of puppies like 101 Dalmations?
Me(with a heck no tone):  No, we do not have the money or the space for that many puppies.
Gabbie:  You have money.
Me:  No, not that much money.
Gabbie:  I have money.
Me:  You do?
Gabbie:  Yes, in my piggy bank.  I have lots of coins.  I can use them to buy the puppies.  *Pause*  But then I won't have money.
(Yes Gabbie, that's the idea.)
post signature

No comments: