Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Summer Salad

During our vacation, we broke the dinners up so you only ended up cooking and cleaning one night during the week.  It really made it relaxing.

When it was our turn, we made hot dogs and hamburgers with a bunch of different toppings.  One of the side dishes I made was a recipe for Panzanella that I found on Pinterest.

Here are the ingredients:

1/2 of a Cucumber
1/2 of a Red Bell Pepper
3 Tomatoes
1/2 of a Red Onion
3/4 c. Fresh Mozzarella
Handful of Basil, chopped
1/2 loaf French Bread
Olive Oil
Garlic

Chop veggies to desired size and toss together in bowl with mozzarella and basil.


For the dressing, mix together:
1/4 c. Olive Oil
1 T Balsamic Vinegar
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
Kosher Salt
Pepper

Combine everything and whisk until blended.  Set aside.
(I did cut corners on this one and used a balsamic vinagrette and added in the other ingredients.)

To make the croutons:
Cut french bread into 1 inch cubes. Add it to a baking sheet with some olive oil, garlic, and salt. Toss together and bake until crispy and golden brown.

Combine the veggies and bread and top with dressing. Toss together and serve.

I am so sad that this picture came out the way it did.  It just doesn't do the salad justice.  It was absolutely delicious!  I highly recommend you try it out.  Also, don't nix the homemade croutons, it really adds so much to it.

No comments: