Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Coconut Chicken

Pinterest has given me so many ideas for cooking.  I love that some more recipes have opened up in my cooking routine for the family.

This recipe was super easy and Jeff really liked it.  The kids may have turned their nose to it, but I know it would have been a hit if I didn't have such picky eaters on my hand!
Here's what you need:
(I did my measuring by eye, so the measurements I gave may be a little off)

Skinless chicken breast or tenderloin (About a pound)
3 or 4 eggs
panko bread crumbs (1 cup)
shredded coconut (1 cup)
flour (about 1 1/2-2 cups)

I made three dredging plates.  One with flour, salt, pepper, and paprika.  Another with the panko and shredded coconut(equal parts) and the final one with a few beaten eggs.

I dredged the chicken in the flour, then the egg, then the panko mixture.

I had a pan of vegetable oil already hot.  I cooked the chicken in small batches of about 4 or 5 so the pan didn't get crowded.  

Once cooked, I put them on a paper towel to cool and drain.

Voila, delicious coconut chicken! 

You can also use this same exact recipe for shrimp.  But since Jeff is allergic, that recipe will not be happening in our house.  Although it is my favorite!

While the chicken cooled a bit, I also made a dipping sauce, using equal parts marmalade and Sweet Chili hot sauce.  I warmed it in the microwave for just a few minutes and it turned out to be a perfect sauce for the chicken.

No comments: