Saturday, January 30, 2010

Possible Preterm Labor????

Just when I thought I had nothing to blog about....

It all began Thursday night when I was having mild cramping. I figured it was associated with Braxton Hicks, so I decided to see how I felt in the morning. All morning it continued and I called my OB to be on the safe side. They asked me to come in. Luckily we had off Friday due to a teacher workday and were ready to spend the day getting errands done while Gabbie was at daycare. We went off to the dr. thinking it would be a quick trip, then off to get a bite to eat and go to Target.

Well my dr. trip ended up lasting until right now 8 am Saturday morning. Here's what happened:

I got to the OB explained the symptoms and they hooked me up to a monitor. Low and behold I was having mild contractions that lasted a few seconds. They said I was being sent next door to Labor and Delivery. I was hooked up there and continued to have contractions. They gave me two shots of a fast acting med. used to stop contractions. No luck, they then gave me half a dose of the med. I was possibly taking home to keep the contractions at bay. No luck. They gave me the other half, no luck.

At this point it was nearing 5, Jeff had rushed home to get Gabbie and Deb met them at our house. They finally decided that they couldn't release me because the contractions weren't really going away. Thank God for Deb because she ended up staying the night.

I was given another shot, and an oral version of the shot as well. The oral pill was to be taken every four hours over night. I continued to have mild contractions throughout the night but not as many, usually right before my next dose. I spoke with the nurse around 6 and she said that my OB wanted to check me around 10(Saturday) when my next dose was, but she probably wanted me to stay until the evening. There is a test you can take that tells whether you are heading into preterm labor or are just having contractions that need to be dealt with by meds. I had to wait 24 hours before taking that test, so another day in the hospital it is. I also have to take the second steroid shot for the baby's lungs at 9.

So much is up in the air. They also mentioned posssible bedrest the next few weeks to help this stop. Jeff and I are terrified of this. We have very limited sick days which were going to be used up for the birth. I don't know how we are going to swing being off for both....I guess we will just cross that bridge when it comes.

Stay tuned for more updates. I don't even really know what's going on myself....

post signature

No comments: