Saturday, July 24, 2010

Updates

Kiernan:

He has recently learned to roll from his back to his stomach consistently. He LOVES standing on his legs while you help him keep balanced. He is giggling and smiling all of the time which warms both of our hearts.

He did have a bout with reflux. I am not sure if it is completely cured, but he doesn't wince anymore when he does spit up.

He is still not sleeping through the night. Darn! (At least he isn't colic) He still wakes between 1 and 4 and then at 6. I have gotten used to the lack of sleep, but would love a full night of sleep sometime soon!

He goes for his 4 month check up on Wednesday so I will fill you in with his growth details later. I still can't believe he is 4 months already!

Gabbie:

I just took her to see an ENT on Thursday. Aunt Debbie(a FABULOUS speech pathologist) has always kept an eye on Gabbie's speech. Since she is 3 and is still hard to understand, since most don't speak Gabenese like Jeff and I do, Deb said it was time to see if she may be having problems with her adenoids.

Gabbie was awesome at the visit and put up with all of the poking and prodding. Not once did she cry or tell them no.

Deb hit the nail on the head. Gabbie's adenoids are enlarged along with her tonsils. We got to see Gabbie's nose through the endoscope. The doctor had her say some nasal sounds and low and behold her nasal passage is pretty much blocked when she speaks. This explains why she always sounds nasal and has MANY runny noses/sinus infections.

This means that Gabbie will definitely need to have her adnoids removed in the next few weeks. I was asked to monitor her breathing at night. If she sputters, stops breathing, or wakes herself from snoring, she may need to have the tonsils removed as well. If they are not bothering her, the doctor would like to keep those in.

While I was there, I also mentioned that Gabbie needs us to repeat things over and over again and often says, "Eh?" I wondered if there was a hearing problem going on or was this just 3 year old selective hearing.

They put her in a sound proof booth(again, brave one didn't need Mommy by her side) and ran a few hearing tests.

Turns out, she has a lot of fluid in her ears which is creating hearing loss in both, especially the left. Poor thing! She will need to have ear tubes put in to eliminate the fluid. I was told that her hearing will improve immediately from this.

I take her back in 2 weeks to let them know if I notice anything unusual when she sleeps. We will schedule the other procedures at that time as well.

Stay tuned....

post signature

No comments: