Last night was the first time I experienced the feeling of wishing I could be split in two. This is something I know I will experience for the rest of my life, but I had to sit back and laugh at my first time.
Picture it:
8pm, bedtime for the 3 year old and feeding time for the 1 month old. Can you see where this is headed?
Usually it is no problem putting Gabbie down. It's something I am always thankful for. Last night I experienced the infrequent melt down. She was curled up in a ball in the corner of her room, trying to get as far away from me as she could, sobbing, "No, I don't want to!" This of course was repeated over and over at a mind numbing decibel.
At the same time, I had Kiernan screaming because he was not happy trying out his crib for a brief stint while I put Gabbie to bed
Decision making time: Who do you deal with first? I went for the younger one, since I was enjoying the older ones dramatics.
I went to make him a bottle. I could see the baby monitor's lights at full blast from the two of them and their pathetic cries. I wondered when the things would short circuit from the noise but somehow they didn't.
I quieted Kiernan only to begin my next obstacle....Gabbie and the potty. She ran off to the bathroom to do it herself(still sobbing). I quickly found out she was struggling and had to put Kiernan down to go help. I found her crossing her legs as she was trying to take her pull-up off. I stripped her down, put her on the potty and turned around, only to hear blood curdling screams. I turn around once again to find my daughter ALL the way in the potty. In my haste, I forgot to put the potty seat on. One part of me felt bad, but another part was giggling and saying, "Serves you right." The quick dip had cooled her off and she finally calmed down. At this point, Kiernan was screaming again because I had stopped feeding him.
Everyone was finally calm and the situation was under control. I put him down to finish up with Gabbie. He of course began to cry because that's not what he wanted, while she began to cry because she wanted more cuddle time.
After much "discussion" I convinced her to go to sleep, got him to quiet down once again, as I flopped on my bed counting the minutes for Jeff to get home from practice. I had to laugh because during this whole scenario, not once was I flustered at all. I was too amused by the situation to be.
Ah, the joys of being home alone with two. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment