Thursday, December 30, 2010

Food Highlights

I did a LOT of cooking and baking this week.  I'm mad I didn't take pictures, but let me just tell you, we had some delicious feasts this holiday!
Christmas
Dinner:  Spiral ham, mashed potatoes, candied carrots, fresh grilled pineapple, green bean casserole(Deb J contribution), and salad.

New Addition: Carla Hall's(from Top Chef) Winter Squash Bisque!  I had been dying to make it since attending her cooking class.
I finished each bowl off with a parmesean crsip.  It turned out better than expected.  I made a double batch so I had enough for our second Christmas meal.

Dessert:  Homeade apple pie, cannolis, and tons of chocolate and cookies from various parent gifts

Christmas Part II
The usuals:  Mashed potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, green beans, and salad
New additions:  Carla Hall's soup again AND a delicious leg of lamb with a mustard pepper crust.  We all remarked how we hadn't had leg of lamb in years.  We quickly realized we had been missing out!
Dessert:  Cannolis and more of the chocolate and cookies

What to do with leftovers...
Ham:  We used it the next day in our breakfast omelettes.  I also made some ham sandwiches from it.  I am contemplating using the last bit of it in some sort of soup.  TBD

Leg of Lamb:  I used the leftover lamb, vegetables and mashed potatoes to make a Shepard's Pie.(Thanks mom for the idea!)  

 
Besides being psyched that I have not let anything go to waste, my fridge is now clearing out which means I have room again to do our regular food shopping. :) 

Sadly, thanks to these feasts, my pants are not fitting as well as they used to.  The story of all of our lives right?


post signature

No comments: