Friday, September 23, 2011

Oktoberfest Prep

Jeff and I are having our first Oktoberfest party this year.  We are pretty excited  because we have brewed a few beers for the occasion AND they will be our first tapped beers as well. 

In preparation of the party, I have been creating a great German menu to go along with it.
One of the items I am making from scratch are homemade pretzels.  Of course I had to try out the recipe before the actual party.  I got the recipe from Food Network.  You can check it out here.



They came out pretty good.  I made the regular kind along with a garlic butter and bacon and cheddar one. 

The only problem was they were slightly bland.  I am going to use salted butter next time. (I know what you are going to say mom, cut back on the salt).  But hey, it's Oktoberfest, I can live a little. :)

The recipe also called for dipping them in a baking soda/water mixture.  This created a slightly chewy effect, so I will baste it on next time.

One week to go!

No comments: