Peach Barbecue Sauce
I adapted this a bit from the links adapted version of Williams-Sonoma's The Art of Preserving
Makes 4-5 pints
(I halved this whole recipe since I didn't have many peaches left.)
Note: This is the recipe for the whole one.
4 lbs. free stone yellow peaches
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 cup canola oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup bourbon (or water)
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger (I didn't have this so I used ginger powder.)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder (I didn't have chipotle chili powder so I got rid of both chili powders and substituted chipotle chilis in adobo. It added a great smokey flavor to the recipe.)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Blanch and peel the peaches.(Mine were super ripe, so I skipped this.) Cut them in half, pit them, and chop the halves into slices. Toss in a nonreactive bowl (with this recipe, use nonreactive everything) with the lemon juice and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan or stockpot add the oil and heat over medium-low heat. Add the onion and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the peaches, vinegar, brown sugar, and bourbon. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
3. Allow the mixture to cool a bit and then process in a blender, in batches, until cool. Pour back into the stockpot. Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire, ginger, chili powder, chipotle powder, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce to medium. Cook for 10 minutes stirring the entire time.
This last part is for canning. I just put them in mason jars, allowed them to cool a bit and then put them in the fridge.
4. Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch of headspace. Secure with hot, clean lids. Process in a water bath for 15 minutes. Sealed jars can be stored in a dark, cool place for a year. Opened jars keep in the fridge for 2 weeks.
We basted this on some grilled chicken and it was delicious!
While making this recipe, I figured I would make the other peach hot sauce recipe I had found HERE.
Habanero Peach Sauce
2-3 Habaneros, chopped and seeded 1 cup chopped peaches, or 15 oz canned peaches (I used 3 fresh peaches)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp brown sugar (it didn't specify whether light or dark, so I used dark)
Whizz everything in a blender.
Pour into a saucepan, and bring to the boil over medium heat. Make sure the kitchen is ventilated - the fumes from the chillies and the vinegar are a bit strong.
Simmer 3-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and strain into sterilized jar (I didn't strain, since I like it chunky).
This recipe turned out ok. I would dial back the orange juice next time. I think it overpowers the flavor of the peaches. I also might keep some seeds in next time. The heat wasn't as "hot" as I would have liked for a hot sauce.

No comments:
Post a Comment