Sunday, April 26, 2009

Garden of Gabbie

We finally completed our little vegetable garden this morning. Jeff took Gabs to her new Gymboree class. Gabbie has moved to the level 5 class. Jeff said she did well but of course couldn't keep her attention span. About 15 minutes into it, she said "bye bye" to everyone and started to walk out. Today's theme was Fire Fighting. They had to run around saving animals as they fought pretend fires. Gabbie saved Clifford, but I think because she saved him she felt she now owned him. She refused to let go of him for the rest of class. In the end, Jeff had to divert her while Clifford discretely disappeared. She is a hero with a very big heart. I am excited to take her next week and find out what the new theme is.

Now, back to the garden...so while Jeff and Gabbie were gone, I went out and set up. I planted the tomato, strawberry and basil plants and prepped the rest of the garden. When they got home, Gabbie helped plant the carrot, string bean, and corn seeds. She even helped weed toss dirt out of the garden. Jeff completed the garden with an Ellie/Gabbie-proof fence. I can't wait to see everything sprout and grow in the next few months.

Once we were finished, I sat back on the grass. That's right, actual grass that was soft enough to sit on and didn't pierce your legs or crumble beneath you. The shade of the huge tree protected us from the increasing temperatures. We were 90+ yesterday. I looked around and realized just how beautiful our yard really is. It made me appreciate the blessing in disguise the short sale of our house was. Yes, we rent this place, but we couldn't have asked for a better home for our family to continue to flourish in.

We planted a variety of flowers a few days ago.
The garden before

Planting Corn
Tomatoes, strawberries and basil...YUM!
Keeping the "pests" out.
Exploring the yard.

Ellie enjoying the peaceful morning.
post signature

1 comment:

Kristina and Brandon said...

What an awesome day you guys had! And yes, you do have an amazing back yard =)