Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Mall and the Easter Bunny


We went to the mall this morning to meet up with my friends Keith, Erica, and her one year-old son. We had breakfast at the Corner Bakery(Yum) and then walked around the mall for a bit.

As we walked around, there was a performance going on in one of the common areas. A "comedian," dressed in some sort of WWII Nazi garb, was running around doing the typical physical comedy that most young kids love. There was one child that wasn't sure what to make of him. Her name was Gabriella. His comedy was way over her head, yet she couldn't tear herself away from him. She never laughed, but as we walked off, she would whip back around to watch for a second. She would walk off again and then whip back around to watch him. I never was able to figure out if she liked him.

THEN...the Easter bunny.

Erica and I noticed the line wasn't long at all so we decided to take advantage of it. I was so excited to finally get a pic of Gabbie with one of the two quintessential childhood shots. The other being Santa of course. I have avoided both in the past knowing that after a 1-2 hour wait on line I would pay $20 for a screaming child photo. I just know Gabbie too well and it's not the money I wanted to spend at the time.

Well we were up, now or never. I picked Gabs up and wasn't even able take a step when she started clinging, or should I say CLAWING, at my shoulder. While crying, she desparately said, "bye bye" over and over again. I tried the usual toddler distraction tactics to see if I could persuade her. That didn't last long. You would think I was trying to throw my child on hot molten lava. I was not about to force the issue so we sat down and waited for Erica's son to take his pic. He sat like a champ of course.

We were on our way out of the Easter Bunny Toture Chamber when Gabbie FINALLY stopped crying. She turned, waved and said in her innocent sweet voice, "Bye bye bunny(or what resembled bunny)."

And that was that...

No comments: