Saturday, April 25, 2009

I Am Lucky If...

The other day I was thinking about how so many aspects of my life have changed since I became a mom. I have always heard the line, "Wait until you have children," followed by many stories that gave me an inkling of what I was in for. Then enter Gabbie. Now, I don't want anyone to think that for one moment I mind the changes, but when I think about my old life vs. my new one, it's amazing how different they actually are.

I used to get to work an hour early, have 2 weeks of lesson plans ready to go, and stay for at least an hour afterward. Now, I am lucky if I have plans for that day, stay until the allotted time in my contract and make it to school on time.

I used to wear cute outfits to work, did my hair, and actually put on makeup(albeit minimally). Now, I am lucky if my outfits fit or match, my hair is not in a pony tail, and I even get a chance to attempt makeup since I am busy making sure Gabbie's teeth are brushed.

I used to listen to songs with semi-explicit to explicit lyrics and BLARE it in my car. Now, I am lucky if I listen to a song that doesn't involve a farm animal or audience participation in some way, shape or form.

I used to cook great meals for Jeff and I that would take an hour or two to prepare. We would even eat at *gasp* 7 o'clock or later. Now, I am lucky if the food involves most of the food groups, doesn't require microwaving, or isn't take-out. Let's Dish has been a savior lately. Oh and dinner is usually around 4:30/5:00 and NEVER later than 6.

Jeff and I used to go out to eat or see a movie for some quality time. Now I am lucky if...wait, what's quality time?

I used to draw, paint, and sketch pictures for hours. Now, I am lucky if my drawing isn't frantically scribbled over by a drooling 2 year old.

I used to have 2 way conversations with people on the phone. Now, I am lucky if the 2 way conversation is actually with the person on the phone, usually it is with the little person whining or crying next to me.

I used to walk around our house freely without stubbed toes or black and blues. Now, I am lucky if I can navigate the constantly changing obstacle course our child creates.

I used to speak in complete sentences. Now, I am lucky if I teach my 2nd graders proper English when I catch myself speaking broken sentence Gabenese. (Yes, Gabbie ni ni....No Gabbie no outside.)

I used to enjoy quiet time in a silent house, reading a book. Now, I am lucky if I don't have my only 10/15 minute quiet time(shower) broken up by a wailing child banging on the door for "ma ma."

The list of course can go on and on.


Now, with all this being said, would I change any of these "I am lucky ifs"?

Never, No Way, Not for one minute.

My life is exactly the way I want it. :)

I know...typical mom response, right? But, it is so true.


post signature

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

OMG that was my pre Riley life almost to the T. Planning lessons?? What planning? A blow dryer? What the heck is that? Of course I wouldn't trade her for ANYTHING, but sometimes I miss my explicit lyric songs. IPOD w/headphones at the gym to the rescue! :)