Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy 107th Birthday!

Dr. Seuss' (aka Theodor Geisel) birthday was yesterday.  As in most schools, ours celebrated "Read Across America."

My day consisted of:
1.  Dressing like a fool Showing Seuss spirit.
2.  Educating the children on the importance of Dr. Seuss' work.
3.  Reigniting the love of reading and writing through fun and quirky ways.
4.  Participating in "Read Across America," where children across the country stop what they are doing and read at exactly the same time.



As part of the celebration, I coordinated having the 2nd and 6th graders read to one another.  I made sure Jeff and my class were paired together. :)


Both grades had a blast!  All of us said that we need to do this more often.  We did this once last year and said the same thing.  It is so hard to coordinate valuable experiences like this when so much is thrown on our plates in regard to curriculum, testing, and deadlines.  We are going to try hard to make room for it though because it is just too important.

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." - Dr. Seuss




post signature

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Too cute! Isn't working with your hubs the best? I loved that year. Matt and I used to get our kids together too. :)