Sunday, July 5, 2009

Cakes and Celebrations

We had a wonderful 4th of July. My favorite thing about the day, besides the fireworks, is spending the day with family and friends. I love throwing a party and although tiring, it is so much fun!

(This pic makes me think of paparazzi stalking someone through the bushes. But she was so cute in her plaid shorts and 4th of July t-shirt, I just had to stalk her!)

Gabbie did NOT enjoy the "fire" last night. She saw 2 fireworks in the sky and then ran for the house. She hung with Dada inside playing with glow sticks. Luckily Jeff isn't a fan of fireworks since he is colorblind and they pretty much look white to him anyway. At one point Gabbie came to the door with a glow stick around her neck, both wrist, and ankles. She looked like she was straight out of the movie "Tron." Once the fireworks were all done Gabbie said, "All done fire," went to bed and that was that.



Here are the two cakes that I prepared. The first is a jello poke cake with Cool Whip frosting and fruit on top. This cake is SO good it isn't funny!


(I have no clue why this pic was downloading sideways. Also, this picture didn't do this cake justice. )










And finally, my proudest accomplishment to date(in the cake world that is).

This was a chocolate cake with buttercream filling and marshmallow fondant icing. I made the marshmallow fondant and buttercream from scratch. I have NEVER worked with fondant before. I was pretty happy with how it turned out. The stars on the cake are fondant as well. I also have to say that I am not a fan of fondant in general but this marshmallow fondant was pretty tastey.
After covering the cake with a layer of buttercream and fondant.

After I put on the the fondant stars.

The finished cake.
My next challenge is to try a two tier!

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those cakes look awesome! Happy 4th! - Rebecca